Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS)
Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) are in-home or telephonic services designed to assist individuals 60 or older who may not be Medicaid eligible and/or appropriate for Medicaid funded programs. Services are offered based on a sliding scale fee in addition to private pay options. Also under the HCBS umbrella are the Benjamin Rose Institute (BRI) Care Consultation Program ™and the Tailored Care Assessment and Referral℠ (TCARE®) program. Services are geared towards keeping seniors independent in their community as long as possible and provide support for their caregivers. .
With the exception of certain fund-source specific eligibility criteria, and with the exception of specific eligibility criteria for home delivered meals, eligibility for services is limited to persons age 60 or over and any person regardless of age who is identified as having Alzheimer's disease or a related disorder and the families and caregivers of those persons. If funding is not sufficient to serve all eligible consumers requesting services, the Older Americans Act provides preference to persons in greatest economic need, persons in greatest social need, persons who are frail, and persons who are at risk of institutionalization.
Services offered under the HCBS program include:
- Homemaker – Assistance with light housekeeping, meals preparation, shopping for personal items
- Personal Care Services – Personal assistance with bathing, dressing, eating, and personal care
- Respite – Providing temporary relief or rest to families and caregivers for eligible individuals
- Home Modification/Home Repair – Provision of assistive devices and home modifications to promote safety, accessibility, and independence for individuals in their home
- Adult Day Care – Provision of personal care for dependent adults in a supervised, protective, congregate setting during some portion of a 24-hour period
- In-Home Counseling – Provides professional guidance and assistance with problem resolution in the individual’s residence
- Emergency Response System – In-home electronic support system providing 24-hour access to a medical control center on a daily basis
- Home Delivered Meals – Provides a nutritionally balanced meal to eligible individuals at the person’s place of residence; the meals meet standards for 1/3 RDA and may be hot or frozen frozen or shelf stable.
- Case management - Provides access for consumers to community resources or assists individuals in identifying and securing resources or services in order to enhance wellness and remain in the community for as long and as safely as possible. Case management does this by enhancing access to care and improving the continuity and efficiency of service through care coordination.
If you would like to apply for HCBS, please contact us at (706) 210-2018 or toll free at (866) 552-4464.